Our subject area is nature. We do not publish fiction, short stories or poetry.
In order for us to consider your manuscript/proposal for publication, we require the following:
- A synopsis, giving a general summary of the book, as well as a detailed contents list and a brief summary of each chapter.
- Ten-page extract or full chapter sample.
- 'Suggested' Specifications - what size book did you have in mind? Approximate word count?
- Will the book be illustrated, and if so how (illustrations; maps? line drawings? photographs?). Send samples if available.
- A covering letter that motivates why the book should be published, which also includes an assessment of the book's market (who the book is aimed at) and, if applicable, a list of existing books on the same subject.
- Potential competitors - other books in print on the same subject, pointing out their weaknesses or strengths, plus giving information on the publisher, page extent etc. How will your book differ?
- A brief note about yourself, listing other books you have written and giving any personal information/ experience that is relevant to the proposal.
- Anything else you feel we should know.
Your proposal/manuscript must be addressed to Carmen Hartzenberg, PA to the Publisher for Struik Nature, and can be sent either by post or email (see details below).
If you choose to send the manuscript via email, please note that due to the increasing number of viruses around, we will delete any unknown email unless it is clearly stated in the subject line that it is a manuscript submission. Please do not paste the proposal into the email, but send it as an attachment, preferably an MS Word document.
If you send you manuscript via post, do not send any original material, as we cannot be held liable for its safekeeping. We do not accept handwritten manuscripts or any material that needs to be returned, such as photographs.
Postal: Struik Nature, PO Box 1144, Cape Town, 8000
Physical: Wembley Square, First Floor, Solan Street, Gardens, Cape Town, 8001
Email: Carmen Hartzenberg firstname.lastname@example.org
Please bear in mind that it can take up to three months for us to give feedback to a prospective author. In order to decide whether or not to publish, we go through a fairly time-consuming process, which includes market research, analysing competing titles and doing provisional costings, but we will contact you as soon as we have made a decision. We are unable to enter into discussions about manuscripts that we have decided to reject.
We thank you for your interest and for considering us as a publisher.
Write your story
Polish your writing skills and be mentored by well-known author, Mike Nicol, on the Random House Struik Creative Writing or Non-Fiction Writing short course. Both courses are presented part-time and entirely online throughout South Africa, in partnership with online education company, GetSmarter.
Random House Struik Creative Writing
This 10-week, part-time course provides the essential skills, techniques and much-needed motivation to kick-start a hobby or career in writing. Form part of an online writing community while learning about every step of the creative process. Learn how to start with a bang; craft interesting characters; finish your manuscript; and submit it for publication.
Course starts: 02 September 2013
Read more about this course
Random House Struik Write a Non-Fiction Story short course
Write your own non-fiction short story with mentorship and guidance from well-known author, Mike Nicol. Gain the skill and motivation to write a memoir, autobiography, biography, travelogue or historical account.
Course starts: TBC
Read more about this course
Contact Roxy on +27 (0)21 447 7565 or email@example.com for more information. Alternatively, visit